Saturday 24 August 2013

nn's school visit

That's why I need a blog. Amber visited nn's school on Tues and I didn't managed to pen everything down. Never too late I guess. =)

It was actually Monday that one of her teachers approached me and asked if I can bring Amber to school the next day. To let the children interact with her and learn more about her. To be frank, I was very excited yet a little worried. Amber is still considered a puppy at 1 year old and she can be playful at times, especially when she gets a lot of attention. But I know this is one opportunity not to be missed! How many schools allow dogs as part of their education? So far, I have heard none.

So after our usual walk, I packed some of her stuff like brushes, treats, toothbrush, etc and head for the challenge.

I arrived a bit early to get Amber familiar with the environment. And as the teacher led the class and nn out, I could see that they were excited yet abit scared. To a class of 10+kg kids, a 26kg dog is indeed intimidating. Seriously, it was my first time giving a "talk" so I also have no idea what to say. After the whole interaction, I realised I missed out a lot of things I could have said!



 But anyway, I let the children have a chance to brush Amber. Initially, only a few kids wanted to but slowly, I saw more hands and all of them even got closer and closer. And Amber was really cooperative to just lie down there enjoying the "massage". Everyone got a chance to touch her and none of them were really scared. I think sometimes, it's the parents who instill the fear in the children. All the "no.. the dog will bite you, the dog is dirty" kind of stuff. I ever got reprimanded when I brought Amber to send nn to school.


Anyway, guess what, teacher asked me to unleash Amber so that she can demostrate some tricks! Luckily Amber does know a few and did them pretty well. phew~ It was really happy to see that the kids enjoyed the whole session. 
demostrating a play dead trick

Children and dog = perfect photo isn't it?


When the kids session ended, it was the teachers' turn. haha.. They all enjoyed a little ineraction time + phototaking session with her but sadly, I don't have it.


I think it's really a good idea that schools allow children to have hands on interaction wiith the nature and animals. I do emphasize on studies but I think experience like this is equally important. I think kids nowadays only learn about dogs, cats, etc on books. Many never even get close to one.

I understand that parents are protective of the kids, especially towards big dogs. But if anyone sees us, do feel free to come forward to say hi or give Amber a pat. I assure everyone that Amber will not bite. =) 

3 comments:

wei jin said...

Yeah, I hope to c Amber someday!

Audrey Eng said...

GREAT activity! I wish I was one of the kid there...! Amber always looks so clean and neat and friendly and hugable!! Was Amber nervous that day??

Unknown said...

I don't think she is nervous cos she is very used to having kids like nn around her. I was more nervous than her actually . haha

Post a Comment

 
back to top